Graduate Admission Frequently Asked Questions

Our admission counselors have compiled a list of common questions many prospective graduate students have throughout the admission and financial aid process. If you have additional questions, please contact your graduate admission counselor and she will be happy to help.

Admissions and Application Questions

Tuition and Financial Aid Questions

Academic Program Questions


What is the application deadline?

Application deadlines vary by program. We strongly encourage you to begin your application process early. Some programs have strict prerequisite requirements that may require preparation a year in advance. View the program’s admission requirements information for specific deadlines.

Is there an application fee?

Yes. There is a $45 application fee for U.S. students.. The fee is waived for Mount Mary alumnae.

What are the GPA requirements for admission?

A minimum undergraduate grade point average of 2.75 based on a 4-point scale is required. Individual program requirements may vary and may require higher grade point averages.

Do you have any special requirements for international students?

Yes. See our International Admissions for Graduate Study information for details on the materials you are required to submit.

What is the process for submitting letters of recommendation?

A complete letter of recommendation includes the Letter of Recommendation for Graduate Study Form and a narrative evaluation. The recommender should send this information to the Office for Graduate Education at Mount Mary University by mail, fax or email once completed. It is the responsibility of the prospective student to contact individuals to write letters of recommendation on his or her behalf.

Is the GRE or GMAT required for admission?

No. Mount Mary does not require the GRE or GMAT for admission. We look at your entire academic record, letters of recommendation and other application materials to evaluate your credentials.

How do I check the status of my application?

You can check your application status by logging on to MyMountMary, the online campus portal. Get step-by-step instructions to check your application status.

How do I add, change a program, update/correct my mailing or email address, or make a correction after submitting my application?

Email or call 414-930-3049 to make changes after submitting your application.

Can I change the term that I originally applied for?

Yes. Please contact your graduate admission counselor to make this change.

My application is complete. When will I receive a decision?

Admission dates vary by program. The Master of Business Administration, Master of Science in Counseling, Master of Science in Dietetics, Master of Arts in Education and Master of Arts in English have rolling admissions. Admission decisions are generally made within two weeks after your completed application is reviewed.

The Professional Doctorate of Art Therapy, Master of Science in Art Therapy, Master of Science in Occupational Therapy and the Dietetics Internship programs do not have rolling admissions. You will be notified of the admission decision shortly after the program’s application deadline date.

I am currently pursuing my bachelor’s degree. Can I still be considered for admission?

Yes. You may apply for graduate programs during the final term of your bachelor’s degree program. Submit all required admission materials and your official transcript to date to the Office for Graduate Education. Upon graduation, you will need to submit a final official transcript to verify that you have received your bachelor’s degree.

Can I defer my admission?

Yes. Please contact your graduate admission counselor to defer your admission date.

Will there be an orientation for new graduate students?

Yes. New graduate student orientations are held for most graduate programs.  Upon admission, you will receive additional information from the Office of Graduate Admissions and your graduate program regarding the new student orientation.

How much is tuition for graduate programs at Mount Mary?

Tuition rates vary depending on program. View graduate tuition and fees. 

How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for federal financial aid, you must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) each academic year. Mount Mary’s school code is: 003869 . Contact the Financial Aid Office with any questions.

Other than loans, what financial assistance is available?

Mount Mary offers tuition discounts for employees of select Milwaukee area companies and the Archdiocese of Milwaukee are available. Discounts range from 5 to 50 percent of tuition. In addition, Mount Mary offers graduate assistantships for graduate students to work for a Mount Mary department while attending school. Graduate assistantships include a stipend and positions are limited.

External companies and organizations provide scholarships and fellowships for graduate study as well, so check with your employer, regional and national professional organizations in your field, and charitable foundations to find additional scholarship opportunities.

What graduate programs does Mount Mary offer?

Mount Mary University has seven master’s degree programs and one professional doctorate program. View a complete list of programs.

Are graduate programs available to men?

Yes. All graduate programs are open to women and men.

Will my graduate credits transfer from another institution to Mount Mary?

Yes. Credits must be from a regionally accredited college or university, and be approved by your graduate program director.

Can I take a graduate course if I am an undergraduate?

Yes, but only if you are a high-achieving undergraduate student with senior status at Mount Mary University. Contact your graduate admission counselor for more information.

 Is there a graduate student handbook I can use as a reference?

Yes. The graduate student handbook is online and provides information on services available to graduate students, academic and tuition policies, and other information.