Layton Art Scholarship
The Frederick R. Layton Art Scholarship is a $3,000 scholarship available to incoming
and current Mount Mary students who declare a major in an arts and design academic
area. Multiple scholarships are awarded each year.
The scholarship is named for Frederick R. Layton, who created the first art gallery in Milwaukee in 1880. (The art collection is now housed in the Milwaukee Art Museum.) The Layton School of Arts was an outgrowth of his gallery and continued until it was closed in 1974. The Layton Board of Trustees established a foundation to continue Layton’s philanthropy—an endowment for scholarships that aids artistically and academically talented students.
Criteria for Incoming Students
To be eligible for the incoming student Layton Art Scholarship award, you must:
- be accepted to Mount Mary University as a full-time, undergraduate student.
- not have previously attended Mount Mary University and not be transferring in any art credits.
- have a minimum 3.0 cumulative high school GPA.
- declare a major in art education, art therapy, fashion design, fashion merchandise management, fine art, graphic design or interior design.
Apply for this scholarship—
- Submit the application form and CD portfolio of artwork.
- Get a letter of recommendation from an art teacher.
- Obtain a letter of recommendation from high school principal or counselor (optional).
Deadline—January 22, 2014
Criteria for Current & Transfer Students
Current Mount Mary students or new students transferring in one or more college-level art/art-related courses may qualify for this scholarship. To be eligible for the current student award, you must:
- be enrolled as a full-time student in an undergraduate program.
- have a declared major in art education, art therapy, fashion design, fashion merchandise management, fine art, graphic design or interior design.
- have completed at least one college art course at Mount Mary University or through another institution where art or art-related college credit was given and transferred to Mount Mary.
- have a minimum 3.0 GPA at Mount Mary (applicants must have a core GPA at or above 3.0 and a major GPA at or above 3.0).
- expect to have 12 to 24 credits remaining until graduation (12 credits per semester, for a total of 12 credits if graduating in December or 24 credits if graduating in May; summer session does not count as part of the 12 to 24 credits).
Apply for this scholarship—
- Submit the application form.
- If selected for the juried competition, submit and present work for the juried competition. The competition takes place in February.
Deadline—November 22, 2014
(Note: Caroline Scholarship recipients are not eligible to receive a Layton Art Scholarship.)