November is time to focus on careers
We think it's important that students feel confident talking about themselves; their strengths, values and interests, and the majors and careers that are a good fit based on that.
Jena Mahne, M.S., career counselor at Mount Mary
With November designated as National Career Development Month, Mount Mary University's Advising and Career Development Office has filled the month with activities and resources to help students prepare for their majors and careers.
November is a crucial time for students to focus upon future planning, said career counselor Jena Mahne, as this is a likely topic to come up at family events and holiday parties.
"We think it's important that students feel confident talking about themselves; their strengths, values and interests, and the majors and careers that are a good fit based on that," Mahne said.
Career Center events include drop-in sessions at the career center, and targeted events that cover topics such as embarking upon a job search; writing resumes and cover letters; interviews and negotiations; and creating LinkedIn profiles.
Additionally, the Career Center is holding drop-in sessions for free professional headshots and is sponsoring Handshakes and Pancakes," a breakfast to learn about resources specific to Mount Mary students.
Events specific to National Career Development Month at Mount Mary:
- Visit walk-in career counseling on Tuesdays 12-2 p.m. and Thursdays, 12:30 - 3:30 p.m. in the Student Success Center. Check in at the front desk.
- Each day over the lunch hour (12-1 p.m.), students are welcome to drop in on interactive presentations in Haggerty Library lobby room 115 near the Student Success Center including:
- Monday, November 13: Job Search & Networking
- Tuesday, November 14: Resume and Cover Letters
- Wednesday, November 15: Interviewing and Negotiation
- Thursday, November 16: LinkedIn Profile & Free Headshot
- Headshot sessions. Current Mount Mary students can get a professional headshot taken after the LinkedIn presentation from 12:30-12:55 p.m. in HL 115
- Handshakes and Pancakes. Grab a pancake and learn about why it's important to have a good handshake on Thursday November 30 in the Haggerty Library Lounge.