The freedom to create Personal vision inspires student designs
Fashion that defies convention was the theme of this year's CREO fashion show, which was held at the Bloechl Center on campus Friday.
The theme, "MODE Uninhibited: The Freedom to Create," paired the French word for fashion with the idea of creating and manipulating fashion to suit one's personal aesthetic. For example, senior Crystal Garbett created a grey-and-black bridal collection that won the Outstanding Dress Award, sponsored by Donna Ricco '81. WIth this event, the department celebrated 50 years of student-created show; the show's opening will feature a montage of photos and video clips from the past 50 years. Students in the Fashion Merchandise Management program spend a semester planning every detail of the event. The show featured over 80 garments from senior, junior and sophomore design students.
The support of Milwaukee's fashion and retail community takes the form of event sponsorship and achievement awards from community and industry supporters. This year's sponsors include Fashion Angels, Pieper Electric, Carolyn Megal, Jockey, BMO Harris Bank, Enterforce, Meijer and M Magazine. Designers were recognized by industry supporters for the following awards:
- Best of Show sponsored by Jockey International: Ayla Visuri
- Outstanding Dress Award sponsored by Donna Ricco: Crystal Garbett
- Outstanding Tailoring Award by A.J. Ugent Furs: Jamie O'Gallagher
- Readers' Choice Award sponsored by M Magazine: Sydney Werner
- Sister Aloyse Outstanding Construction Award sponsored by Florida Perry Smith: Julia Mueller
- Sandi Keiser Surface Design Award sponsored by Florida Perry Smith: Sydney Werner
- Sandra Tonz Outstanding Collection Award sponsored by Jessica Frantal, Erica Fox, Michelle Vetter: Julia Mueller
- Attention to Detail sponsored by Jessica Little: Sophie Kubly
- Outstanding Patternmaker Award sponsored by Kohl's: Sara Christensen
- Most Marketable Collection Award sponsored by Kohl's: Rebecca Leiviska
- Fashion Forward Award sponsored by Harley-Davidson: Ashley Duncan
- Outstanding Use of Fabric Award sponsored by Nancy's Notions: Celeste Savage
- Historically Inspired Garment Award sponsored by Mount Mary University Friends of Fashion: Dacia Bott
- Outstanding Knitwear Award sponsored by Fiberwood Studio: Christina Lopez-Prado
CREO is taken from the Latin word for "to make, create or produce" and refers to the University's annual celebration of creativity that also includes senior exhibitions from other departments in the School of Arts and Design, such as art therapy, graphic design, interior design and fine arts.