Dr. Tammy Scheidegger
Tammy Scheidegger, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Practicum & Internship Coordinator
Chair, Wisconsin Department of Safety and Professional Services, Joint Board for Marriage and Family Therapy, Professional Counseling, and Social Work Examining Board, and the Licensed Professional Counselor section, Appointed by Governor Scott Walker, 2017 - 2020.
Board Member, HIR (Healing Intergenerational Roots for All-Nations One-Tribe) Wellness Center, Milwaukee, WI., June 2017 - present.
FTTI Leadership Council, Aurora Family Services, Family Therapy Institute, Milwaukee, WI., February 2017 - present.
Phone: (414) 930-3434
Office: Kostka Hall, room 358
- B.S. in Human Development and Family Science, The Ohio State University, 1983
- Major: Human Service Organizations
- M.S. in Human Development and Family Science, The Ohio State University, 1989
- Major: Marriage and Family Therapy
- Ph.D., Human Development and Family Science, The Ohio State University, 1998
- Major: Marriage and Family Therapy, Minor: Counseling Psychology
- Dissertation Title: Family structure, process, and values as influences on educational aspirations among rural youth.
- Assessment of Counselor Trainee Skills & Self-efficacy, Co-presenters Melissa Kraemer Smothers, Victoria Sepulveda, Carrie King, Lee Za Ong, Terri L. Jashinsky. Association for Counselor Education and Supervision, National Conference, Chicago, IL., October 5, 2017.
- The Neurobiology of Transgenerational Trauma Transmission: Decolonizing research, the mind, and our schools for First Nations people of North America. Pathways to Resilience IV: Global South Perspectives Conference. Cape Town, South Africa, - Invited 90-minute symposium, June 15, 2017.
- Healing the Invisible Wounds of Trauma, Mount Mary University, Spring Intensive Workshop, Milwaukee, WI., April 28, 2017.
- Vicarious Trauma, Neuroscience, and the Best Practices in Wellness. Wisconsin Association of Family & Children's Agencies, Madison, WI., March 9, 2017.
- Responsive University Educational Systems: Universal Strategies for Implementing TIC on an Urban Campus, Co-presenter Dr. Carrie King, Mount Mary University, Milwaukee, WI., January 12, 2017.
- Understanding the Nuances of Supervising Trauma Counselors, Co-presenter with Dr. Michele Cohen, Wisconsin Counseling Association, Milwaukee, WI., November 12, 2016.
- Vicarious Trauma, Neuroscience, and Best Practices in Wellness, Wisconsin Association of Family & Child Servicing Agencies: Annual Leadership Conference, October 20, 2016.
- All Nations - One Tribe: Healing Historical Trauma Together, Co-authors Lea Denny, MS in Counseling Program, Graduate Student, and Dr. Carrie King, Banff Alberta, Canada, June 10, 2016.
- Trauma-Sensitive School Pilot Study Within An Urban School Setting, Co-presenter with Dr. Carrie King & Graduate Students Athena Mrotek & Jennifer Tomlin, American Counseling Association National Conference - Montreal, Canada, April 3, 2016.
- Wellness and Self-Care: Taking Care of Business, Ozaukee County Department of Human Services In-service Training, March 10, 2016.
- Historical Trauma Meets Trauma Sensitive Schools, Co-presenter with Dr. Carrie King, First Nations Studies, Milwaukee Public Schools & Southeastern Oneida Tribal, March 4, 2016.
Awards/Honors: Granted tenure and promoted to the rank of Associate Professor
- Reid-Walker, K., Scheidegger, T., End, L., & Amundsen, M. (2012) The Misunderstood Pastoral Counselor: Knowledge and Religiosity as Factors Affecting a Client's Choice. VISTAS Online, American Counseling Association's Online Counseling Library.
- Healy, N., Scheidegger, T.H., Ridley, A.M., Friedlen, K. (2008). Relationship between psychological birth order and romantic relationships. VISTAS Online, American Counseling Association’s Online Counseling Library.
- Stewart, E.R., Gavazzi, S.M., McKenry, P.C., and Scheidegger, T.H. (2001). Parenting practices of rural families and their relationship to adolescent educational and emotional outcomes. In The hidden America: Social problems in rural America for the twenty-first century, Moore, R.M. (Ed).
- Scheidegger, T. H. (1999). Family structure, process, and values as influences on educational aspirations among rural youth. Dissertation Abstracts. OCLC#40894915.
- Wark, L. & Scheidegger, T. H. (1996). Engaging children in therapeutic enactments with the use of a video camera. Journal of Family Psychotherapy, 7(1), 63-67.
- Lebert, L., Brown, N., Scheidegger, T., and George, J. (1987). Emergency intervention procedures to prevent suicide among runaway youth: A manual. Office of Human Development Services, Administration for Children, Youth, and Families, The Youth Development Bureau, Grant No. 90CY0415/01.
- American Counseling Association (ACA), professional member
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES), professional member
- Association for Assessment in Counseling and Education (AACE), professional member
- American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT), affiliate member
- Wisconsin Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (WAMFT), professional member
- Wisconsin Counseling Association, professional member
- Past-President (2012-2013), Wisconsin Counseling Association (WCA)