Cheryl Bailey, Ph.D.
Dean of the School of Natural and Health Sciences
Phone: (414) 930-3111
- University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, PhD in Biochemistry
- University of Iowa, Carver College of Medicine, BA in Biochemistry
“After viewing trypanosome parasites swimming under a microscope, I became hooked on science. Once I began teaching science, I found the same joy in helping students learn about and investigate the natural world. My interest is providing opportunities for students as they pursue their professional, personal and community lives.”
- “The Howard Hughes Medical Institute SEA-PHAGES project and student motivation”, Training, Workforce Development & Diversity, National Institutes of Health, Chicago, 2013
- “Research in the Classroom: The Howard Hughes Medical Institute SEA-PHAGES Project”, Princeton University, 2012
- “Biochemistry Assessment”, Purdue University, 2012
- “POGIL Bioinformatics Project”, International IUPAC ACS meeting, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 2011
- “Core Concepts in Biochemistry Education”, ASBMB Student-Centered Education in the Molecular Life Sciences II, Richmond, VA, 2011
- “Concept Inventories”, ASBMB National Meeting, Washington, DC 2011
- Jordan, T et al. (2014) A broadly implementable research course for first-year undergraduate students. mBio 5(1): e01051-13. doi:10.1128/mBio.01051-13.
- Shaffer C, et al. (2014) A course-based research experience: How benefits change with increased investment in instructional time. Cell Biology Education—Life Sciences Education, 13(1):111-30. doi: 10.1187/cbe-13-08-0152.
- Bailey CP, Minderhout V, and Loertscher J. (2011) Learning transferable skills in large lecture halls: Implementing a POGIL approach in biochemistry. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education 40(1) 1-7.
- Villafane SM, Bailey CP, Loertscher J, Minderhout V, Lewis JE (2011) Development and analysis of an instrument to assess student understanding of foundational concepts before biochemistry coursework. Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education 39(2) 102-109.
- Ditty JL, Kvaal CA, Goodner B, Freyermuth SK, Bailey C et al. (2010) Incorporating genomics and bioinformatics across the life sciences curriculum. PLoS Biol 8(8): e1000448. Doi: 10.1371/journalpbio.1000448.
- American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Wisconsin Association of Independent Colleges and Universities (WAICU)
- New Media Consortium
Grants & Special Projects:
- RCN-UBE Promoting Concept Driven Teaching Strategies in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology through Concept Assessments, National Science Foundation, 2010-2015
- Education Committee, American Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, 2007-present