Carrie Smith King
Associate Professor, Counseling
Licensed Professional Counselor
National Certified Counselor
Licensed School Counselor
Phone: (414) 930-3262
Office: Kostka Hall, room 337
- Ph.D. in Counseling Psychology, APA Accredited, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, Department of Educational Psychology
- Master of Science, Educational Psychology, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Bachelor of Science, Psychology, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Trauma Sensitive School Project was honored as Community Project of the Year at the Beyond the Blues Charles E. Kubly Foundation event on September 19, 2015
- Received the Althea Brach Post-Secondary School Counselor of the Year Award from WSCA, February 18, 2015, recognizing outstanding service to the school counseling profession in Wisconsin
- Financial Award of $500 for creating educational pieces specific for the LGBT population to be used within the American Lung Associations N-O-T (Not On Tobacco) Program, June 2007
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services-Health Resources and Services Administration (July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2020) in the amount of $2.6 million for Scholarships for Disadvantaged Students - Counseling's Succeed Scholars Program.
- Charles E. Kubly Foundation (November 2, 2015 to November 2, 2016) in the amount of $12,755 for Trauma Sensitive School Project.
- Brady Foundation (August 2014 to August 2017) in the amount of $42,750 for Creating Authentic Leadership.
- Charles E. Kubly Foundation (Nov. 1 2014 to November 1, 2015) in the amount of $8,300 for Trauma Sensitive School Project.
- Career Development
- Cultural Consciousness and Cultural Responsive Counseling and Teaching
- Trauma Sensitive School Practices
King, C. (September 23, 2018). Dealing with Your Own Emotions. American Nephrology Nurses Association. New Orleans, LA
Scheidegger, T., King, C., Smothers, M., Ong, L., Sepulveda, V., & Jashinski, T. (October 5, 2017). Assessment of Counselor Trainee Skills & Self-Efficacy, Association for Counselor Education and Supervision Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
Denny, L., King, C. & Scheidegger,T. (June 14, 2017). The Neurobiology of Transgenerational Trauma Transmission: Decolonizing research, the mind, and our schools for First Nations people of North America, Pathways to Resilience Conference, Cape Town, South Africa.
King, C., Randazzo, T., Melton, W., & Paris, M. (April 19, 2017). The Responsive School-Classroom Approach: Implementation & Results, National Catholic Education Association Conference in St. Louis, MO.
King, C. & Ong, L. (November 11, 2016). Integrative Ethics and Culture in Mental Health Care, Behavioral Health Workshop Series, Aurora Hospital, Milwaukee, WI
King, C. & Sepulveda, V. (April 29, 2016). Implementing Trauma-Informed Care in School Settings using Neuroscience & Non-Traditional Modalities, at the Counseling Department's 5th Annual Spring Intensive Counseling Workshop, Milwaukee, WI.
King, C. & Scheidegger, T. (April 3, 2016). Trauma Sensitive School Pilot within an Urban School System, at the annual meeting of the American Counseling Association & Canadian and Psychotherapy Association, Montreal, Quebec.
Maney, J.S., King, C., & Kiely, T. J. (2017). Who Do You Say You Are: Relationships and Faith in Catholic Schools. Journal of Catholic Education, 21 (1).
King, C. & Gratz, K. (January/February 2011). “Beyond Service Learning- School and Community Partnerships as a Career & Workforce Development Strategy.” American School Counselor, v48, n3.
Smith, C., Sapp, M., Farrell, W. C. , & Johnson, J.H. (1997). Psychoeducational correlates of achievement for private school seniors. High School Journal, 81, 161-116.
- American Counseling Association (ACA)
- American School Counselor Association (ASCA)
- Wisconsin School Counselor Association (WSCA)
- Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES)
- Wisconsin Counseling Association (WCA)
- North Central Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (NCACES)