Diagnostic Medical Sonography Curriculum
Mount Mary offers an accredited, four-year Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography degree program. Diagnostic medical sonography is a highly competitive degree program and the program has strict requirements. You will start as pre-diagnostic medical sonography major until you apply to complete your final two years and clinical experiences.
Admission & Bachelor’s Degree Requirements
To earn a diagnostic medical sonography bachelor’s degree from Mount Mary, you must:
- Apply online to and be accepted to Mount Mary University (Note: Some academic programs require a GPA higher than is required for general admission to Mount Mary. Contact your admission counselor for more information.)
- Complete the Pre-Diagnostic Medical Sonography Contract Form
- Successfully complete required prerequisite coursework at Mount Mary (freshman and sophomore years)
- Apply to, be accepted in and successfully complete the diagnostic medical sonography program at Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – St. Francis hospital (junior and senior years). You need to apply to the hospital program during the fall semester of your second year at Mount Mary.
Prerequisites and credit requirements: You’ll complete a minimum of 32 credits at Mount Mary during your first two years. (Note: Transfer students must complete a minimum of 32 credits at Mount Mary as well.) During your junior and senior year, you’ll finish coursework and perform clinical rotations at Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – St. Francis hospital. You must maintain a 3.0 GPA and successfully complete the following courses before you can apply to the diagnostic medical sonography major:
- MAT 105: Introductory Algebra
- ENG 120: Composition II
- BIO 100: Introductory Biology I
- BIO 212: Human Physiology
- PHY 105: Physics Today
- OCT 201: Medical Terminology
- BIO 211: Human Anatomy
- PSY 103: Introduction to Psychology
- BIO 256: Developmental Biology (recommended but not required)
- MAT 208: Statistical Literacy (recommended but not required)
In addition, you must:
- Complete or update CPR certification.
- Complete a Certified Nursing Assistant (CAN) course .(Note: This course is not offered at Mount Mary.)
- Complete an 8 hour job shadowing experience.
- Clear a criminal background check.
Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – St. Francis review process: Wheaton Franciscan Healthcare – St. Francis reviews sonography applications and decides which students to select to complete the program. Admission to the hospital’s program is highly competitive because limited clinical spots are available. The diagnostic medical sonography program is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP).
Degree and certification: Upon successful completion of the program’s coursework, you will receive a Bachelor of Science in Diagnostic Medical Sonography (B.S., A.R.D.M.S and/or B.S., R.V.T.). You will qualify to receive either the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (A.R.D.M.S.) and/or the Registry of Vascular Technologists (R.V.T.) designation depending on which board examinations you qualify for and pass. Graduates are eligible to take board exams in physics, abdomen, breast, obstetrics/gynecology, vascular and neonatal brain imaging.