English Undergraduate Major
"Literature offers the thrill of minds of great clarity wrestling with the endless problems and delights of being human. To engage with them is to engage with oneself, and the lasting rewards are not confined to specific career paths." ― Jonathan Stroud
As an English major at Mount Mary University, you'll develop the 21st century skills necessary to adapt to a rapidly evolving job market, including the ability to:
- Write and communicate clearly
- Develop innovative solutions to complex problems
- Think creatively and abstractly
- Succeed in a global economy
- Collaborate with others
- Synthesize data and evaluate sources
- Locate and acquire knowledge
- Use technology wisely
Choose from three vibrant concentrations:
*Offered as a major or minor.
As an English major, you can create your own career path. A concentration in Writing for New Media will prepare you for a career as a social media strategist or website writer. A concentration in English Education will allow you to pursue a career in the classroom. And an English Literature concentration provides an excellent foundation for graduate work in law, library science and many other areas. Discover more about careers that make the most of an English degree.
Why choose Mount Mary University?
English Literature, '13
"Mount Mary University gave me both the education and confidence I needed to pursue my dreams of becoming a college English professor. Thanks to its exceptional faculty, I am currently enjoying a teaching assistantship at Marquette University, pursuing my master's degree in British Literature and teaching in the first-year English program. I would never be where I am without the excellent education and guidance given to me by my caring Mount Mary professors."
As an English major, you can take advantage of a flexible curriculum that matches your interests. We also offer:
- Courses in day, evening and accelerated formats for your convenience
- Devoted, caring faculty who are widely published and engaged in the community
- Small class sizes and a supportive learning environment; our current faculty to student ratio is 1:13
- A unique, innovative curriculum that integrates digital literacy skills with critical thinking
- The opportunity to develop practical workplace skills at prestigious internship sites
- The Writers on Writing series, which brings bestselling authors to campus to talk about their work, processes and craft
- An iPad loaner program
English Activities Outside of Class
English majors can participate in several clubs and activities, such as Arches, Mount Mary University's award-winning student newspaper and companion website; Sigma Tau Delta honor society; and "Paper Clips," the department's anthology of the finest student writing.
Scholarships for English Majors
Each of our student publications provide writing awards to English students. The English department also offers several merit-based scholarships annually. Members of Mount Mary’s Sigma Tau Delta honor society may qualify you for additional scholarships. Learn more about Mount Mary scholarships.