Mount Mary University offers a Bachelor of Science in Biology. You can customize your major by choosing one of three sequences:
- General biology: This sequence prepares you for entry-level biology jobs after graduation. See the general biology curriculum sheet.
- Health sciences: Through rigorous courses, hands-on learning and test preparation, this sequence prepares you for graduate study in dentistry, medicine, optometry, osteopathic medicine or veterinary science. Our graduates are well-prepared to take the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT), Dental Admission Test (DAT) and Graduate Record Exam (GRE). Download the biology health sciences curriculum sheet for more information. Learn more about pre-professional programs.
- Biology education: If you wish to become a biology teacher, you must complete requirements for both the biology and education majors. When you complete the program, you will be eligible to teach biology or broad field science from early adolescence through adolescence (approximately grades 6 to 12). A student teaching experience is required.
All sequences of the biology program feature:
- Student-centered learning involving real-world problems and hands-on experience
- A classroom focus on learning, gaining experience and developing expertise
- Small classes for both lectures and labs
- Capstone courses for juniors and seniors where you design and conduct your own research studies
Admission & Bachelor’s Degree Requirements
The biology curriculum helps you the master scientific method and the ability to organize resources to solve problems. Courses cover topics such as animal behavior, ecology, environmental science, genetics, human physiology, microbiology, molecular techniques and zoology.
The biology major requires 58-66 credits, depending on the sequence you choose. You also must complete the university’s core curriculum requirements. See the general biology curriculum sheet. Complete degree requirements and a listing of courses are available in the Undergraduate Bulletin (PDF).
Some academic programs require a GPA higher than what is required for general admission to Mount Mary University. Contact your admission counselor for more information.
Biology Minor Requirements
A biology minor is an excellent match for chemistry, dietetics and education majors. The minor requires a minimum of 19 credits. Consult the curriculum sheet for more details on requirements and courses for this minor.
Biology Certificate Requirements
Mount Mary offers a biology post-baccalaureate certificate in general biology or biology education to women who have already completed a bachelor’s degree. Learn more about biology post-baccalaureate certificate requirements.