<Back to Justice Faculty
Rachel Monaco-Wilcox, J.D.
Assistant Professor, Chair
Behavioral Sciences Department
Social Science and Related Disciplines Division
- Honors B.A., Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin,
Majors: English; Theology, magna cum laude
- Fulbright Scholar, Greece; Poetry and Contemporary Cultural Transitions, 1999
- J.D., Marquette University Law School,
May 2004, cum laude
As chair of the Justice Department, I get to work with some of the most passionate women entering the field of justice-related work, and I can help open doors for them to create a new legal landscape in the global era. I am an active mentor through the Wisconsin State Bar to young lawyers, and that helps me to be a better pre-law advisor to Mount Mary's students. Their feedback guides me in choosing the best ways to provide skills, substance, and experience to the Justice majors.
My professional background is in trusts, estates, elder law and tax, and it is an active area of scholarship and practice for me. I study how dispute resolution can be a tool for families to resolve the conflicts of aging; a field known as Elder Mediation. I am blessed to pass on what I learn from working with the elderly and their families to the generations that follow, and to contemplate multigenerational change as America ages.
Professor Monaco-Wilcox recently was interviewed by Linda Albert, director of the Wisconsin State Bar's WisLAP program, speaking about how support and mentoring are essential for young attorneys who may be struggling in the difficult economy.
A video will be released in late Fall of 2011 and used by the State Bar in trainings, presentations, and broadcast to the public, www.wisbar.org
- Introduction to Justice
- Comparative Law
- Women, Crime and Justice
- Business Law
- Abuse and the Justice System
- Pre-law Advising
Recent Publications -
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel. (Fall 2011)."Gifting the Family Vacation Home." Strategies Magazine for Associated Wealth Management, 10 -12.
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel. (Spring 2011). "Capacity to Mediate; Respecting Voices and Choices " Elder Law News, State Bar of Wisconsin Elder Law Section, 9.
Recent Presentations -
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel, Bronson, Sue, and Read, Dr. Stephen M., (Oct. 2011). Capacity to Mediate; Theirs and
Ours, Association for Conflict Resolution 11th Annual Conf., San Diego, CA.
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel. (June 2011). Family Conflict and Mediation, Alzheimer's Association, Fond du Lac, WI
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel, (June 2011). Deconstructing Agesim, 4th Annual Conflict Resolution Education Conference, Cuyahoga College, Cleveland, OH.
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel, et al., (May 2011). Hot Topics, Ethics, and Best Practices in Dispute Resolution, Wisconsin State Bar, Litigation, Appellate Practice, and Dispute Resolution Institute, Milwaukee, WI, May 2011
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel. (March 2011). Elderly and the Law Annual Workshop, Wisconsin State Bar, Madison, WI.
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel. (Nov. 2010). Alzheimer's Association/ Huntington's Disease Society of America Annual Caregiver Conference, Pewaukee, WI
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel, Bronson, Sue. (Oct. 2010). Elder Mediation; Milwaukee Aging Consortium Professional Development Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel. (Oct. 2010). Leaping the Gap; Multigenerational Communication in the Workplace, UW- Green Bay, Green Bay, WI.
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel. (Sept. 2010). Elder Mediation for Aging Services Professionals, Oneida and Vilas County Depts. of Social Services.
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel. (Sept. 2010). Elder Mediation, Focus on Capacity, Association for Conflict Resolution 10th Annual Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel. (August 2010). Elder Mediation: Skills for Physicians, Ministry Health Care Grand Rounds, Wausau, WI.
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel. (2010). Elder Mediation for Estate Planning Attorneys, Association of Women Lawyers Estate Planning Group, Milwaukee, WI.
- Monaco-Wilcox, Rachel, and Schudson, Hon. Charles. (Nov. 2009). Marquette University Law School and UW Madison Law School, Preparing Lawyers for Life.
Professional Affiliations -
- American Bar Association (ABA)
- Wisconsin State Bar; Real Prop., Probate and Trust, Elder, and Dispute Resolution Sections (Board Member)
- Association for Conflict Resolution (ACR), Elder Dispute Resolution Section